Monday, July 1, 2013

Tour of America's Dairyland


I’m standing downtown in Milwaukee watching my son, husband and nephews race in different categories in a criterium bike race. For the uniniated this is a course around city blocks that they will circle about 30 times going around 25 mph. It’s a stage in a series of 7 races throughout Wisconsin called the Tour of America's Dairyland.


My nephews’ team from Colorado is here for the whole 2 weeks including nationals next weekend. We’re just here for a week visiting my family.


Right now all I can hear is the whir of bike wheels coming around the corner and the announcer calling out the laps and what the prime is for the next lap (next prime Bontrage cycling shoes gentleman let’s see who wants these). There is a big screen at each corner so you can see the riders at the other points. All the corners are blocked off with barriers, police officers and crash pads are tied to telephone poles and trees that are close.

If nobody you know has skin in the game bike races might be entertaining and there are a lot of spectators. Later in the day when the pros race it will be packed.  I find it nerve wracking- my stomach churns, my hands wring or clench a fellow arm yet I try to cheer loudly.

I also make sure I can find my guy(s) each lap- you have to get the color of their suit. They pass by quickly and if you don’t see them they’ve crashed. Which happened to Ron last year.

Post race report- two big heart stoppers. The huge banner on metal crossbeams at the finish line fell over in the middle of the cat 4&5 race. The cyclists coming around the corner behind the pace car didn’t have much time to react. People were yelling “neutralize!” One man with orange flags was blocking the way of 75 cyclists.

Those in the front could see what was going on and slow down. Luckily Tyler was in front, but those in the middle piled into each other. We could hear the crashes and wheels blowing out. As bystanders it was slow motion horror; we knew it would happen and couldn’t do anything to stop it.

Believe it or not, 20 minutes later the officials restarted the race for the last two laps, and Tyler got second place!


Then in the masters 40 race, someone hit Ron on the first lap at the worst corner exactly where he crashed last year and three of them went down. Luckily (he tells me after) he landed on top of the guy who hit him – so no blood- he went back to the pit, fixed his brakes and rejoined the race. We had started walking the course to find him since we hadn’t seen him for two laps, then ta da, he came by with the group and all was well.


The mood shifted wonderfully after their races. Beer tents, brats, grilled corn on the cob, restaurants serving outside, casual conversations and race analysis, so many different people and dogs all ages and sizes, congregating and walking. The races continued but I wasn’t worried. My guys were done for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a blast! Congrats to Tyler -- and I hope that you are having a wonderful time with your family. Say "hi" and "glad you didn't bleed" to Ron for me!

    ReplyDelete