Sunday, September 4, 2011

Katie's blogging?

Blogging is a stunted guttural utilitarian verb. Hopefully that doesn't mean the writing coming out of blogs is the same. I wanted to name this blog Backdraft after my favorite coffee from Carrabassett Coffee Company- dark, smokey and strong. Plus I like drafting in the back on bike rides and hikes- that way nobody is rushing me. However the real definition of backdraft involves that nasty puff of smoke that comes out of your woodstove when the wind blows back down; not quite the image I had in mind for a blog. So this is Maine musings because I love living in Maine. When I'm not teaching high school classes, or reading students' writing or doing the readings I've assigned, I am outside recharging. There's no other place I've lived that supports a simple lifestyle with the mountains, lakes, and rural space to play in that we have here. I hope to write about teenagers and teaching writing and literature with them, as well as some of the places and things I enjoy.

At the end of class Friday we had a few minutes and I was chatting with several kids. I asked what good books they'd read over the summer. The first replied, Cry the Beloved Country (by Alan Paton) the next Stephen King's On Writing and the third I asked had read a biography of Malcolm X commenting how schools never talk about him. Who says kids are illiterate? I am awed by their curiosity and range of interests.

On a slightly mischievous note this is a fun essay I read this summer suggesting the beauty in not always googling the answers to our questions. "In Praise Of Not Knowing"

1 comment:

  1. It's exciting to hear the titles your students are choosing to read - speaks well of free choice reading!

    Thanks for directing me to "In praise of not knowing." This is another aspect to the issue of skim-reading across a universe of information that has come up in some recent discussions with colleagues ;-)

    ReplyDelete