Sunday, September 18, 2011

Things I look forward to on Sunday mornings

Maureen Dowd- wow can she write like a sharpshooter. She identifies political attitude in Washington and nails it with flair. This morning's column "Egghead and Blockheads" on Rich Perry, Obama, who is the egghead, and the Republican party is excellent. I love writers who make a point with wit and vigor.  Not sure if it changes the politics or outcome but it makes me think.

A nice example of personal writing is David Shaftel's article The Food was Great the Groveling wasn't about an apartment in Mumbai that came with servants. The description of adjusting to servants and the final straw resulting in moving transported me to India for a moment and had me imagining the strangeness of being waited on. No maids in my house here in Vassalboro! I know we stayed at a big house for a week in Jamaica that came with a staff of 5. It was bizarre having someone serve us beer and do our laundry and cooking. Big wage disparities is the only way household help is so standard in certain countries. Anyway back to my list...

I do like a clean house Sundays- once I get it done. Laundry hanging on the line, figuring out what to cook to use up some of the garden veggies. Today the idea is to make borscht and apple cake. I have experience with the latter and carried apples home from my walk this morning.  Borscht I have only had once and it was at a Russian festival in Richmond, Maine in a church basement. It was yummy. I had heard about this community of Russian immigrants from a Russian literature professor whose class I took at UMA. I doubt mine will taste as good, nor do I have a lace bonnet like they wore, but it will use cabbage and beets which I have lots of!

No comments:

Post a Comment