Sunday, September 11, 2011

unplugged- sorry "Digital Nation"

It's probably heresy in an online class environment, but I admit to being off the Internet and computer for a whole 2 days. Naturally as I attempted to post a blog tonight my somewhat quirky rural internet connection started spinning aimlessly and I was unplugged involuntarily- but the first 40 hours offline were voluntary!

We were in the midst of putting in new kitchen cabinets this weekend, so beware I'm thinking in construction metaphors.  When I talk to my students about writing essays and papers I think I begin more with a vision of the finished product. This will be 3-5 pages long, have analysis and textual evidence or convey some aspect of who you are to the college you're applying to.... Kind of similar to saying I need  the kitchen redone as it is 22 years old and the cabinets don't work that well.  So I envision the end product: the new unblemished cabinets with smooth drawers, a range hood that works, stone counter top to compliment the wood  etc... I am envisioning the end product not the stages it will take to accomplish that.

With a paper once we know we want an analytical paper or a college essay how do we get there?   I try to get kids to accept a level of uncertainty of  what the final product will say. All writing is to some extent a discovery and it can be pretty messy. Many cool points come in the middle of writing and can't be for seen at the beginning. Another thing I make clear is that everyone has a different writing process.  The trick is figuring out what works for each person. I'll review different options: brainstorming, outlining points, first draft on computer or paper. My goal as a teacher is to walk students through this process enough that they learn what they need to do to write well.

So from the initial mess I  promise coherence will emerge as long as they keep working- revising, conferencing, assessing clarity and evidence for points they are making. Really, it is a routine, a series of steps needed for each writing piece.  Luckily I was not in charge of the building routine, just an observer. How's my kitchen coming? Well the cabinets need handles, the floor got scratched from moving the oven, but the cabinets are hung, hinges adjusted and the mess is swept up. It takes patience and work to get to that final vision!

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite quotes: "Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."
    — E.L. Doctorow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. That captures how I write for sure! Thanks Shelley.

    ReplyDelete