Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Feeling grateful at the auto service counter


Here’s to generous people who can make such a difference in my day.

A few weeks ago a persistent rattle in the front end axle, tire area of my car caused me to spontaneously turn into the VW dealership and talk to the service guys. It was Friday at 3:00.

Brownie and his coworker have been very nice over the years explaining the mechanics of parts in my car that fail, as they tally up my bill and make appointments over the phone.  It’s a full time job for the two of them!

Rows of keys line up on the counter on top of the respective cars’ bills, proof of a busy and productive day.

Brownie, the service man said, “Well I can put it up on the lift and take a look. “

Wow, no appointment and he can help me?  Then that nervous anticipation when you see your car being raised up. What will he find?

So he says after peering around under the front end, “Well your front left CV joint is ripped and the axle (or something) will just freeze while you’re driving….”

Great thought- my imagination doesn’t need anything more to worry about going wrong.

Brownie says (at least as best I can remember), “We can fix it now. There are 2 options. If we do replace the CV joint boot it will be $ 600 for parts; if we just replace the whole axle it’s a lot less."

Of course I chose the less expensive option, and he said, "We’ve already got someone heading over to Motor Supply to get the part. Do you have time to wait?"

Wow. Friday, 3PM and they’re going to fix my car? AWESOME.

Counting my blessings despite the beautiful sunny afternoon and post 5-day work week, I sat in the auto showroom grading school work for an hour or so ignoring the shiny new cars positioned around me.

The bill? Less than $250. I headed home an hour and a half later with a functioning CV joint at a minimal cost and avoided my 9-year old car breaking down. This task didn’t even make it to my to-do list!

Lucky me, and thanks to Brownie and the crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment